[rancid] Problems with Rancid and Privilege Levels

Jethro R Binks jethro.binks at strath.ac.uk
Mon Jan 27 14:12:09 UTC 2014

On Fri, 24 Jan 2014, Gordon Ross wrote:

> I didn't want to give the Level 15 enable password for my ASAs to
> Rancid, so I've tried to configure Rancid to use a customer privilege
> level, but I'm stuck at the last hurdle and Rancid doesn't seem able to
> get the config.

I can't remember if this is all of what is required, but I have an ASA
that looks like this:

username rancid password PASSWORD encrypted privilege 7
privilege cmd level 7 mode exec command more
privilege cmd level 7 mode exec command dir
privilege cmd level 7 mode exec command write
privilege cmd level 7 mode exec command terminal
privilege show level 7 mode exec command running-config
privilege show level 7 mode exec command version
privilege show level 7 mode exec command bootvar
privilege show level 7 mode exec command names
privilege show level 7 mode exec command vlan
privilege show level 7 mode exec command module

I'm running an old version of clogin specified as "cisco" in router.db,
but I also have a note that I modified it to send "terminal pager 0" as
well as "terminal length 0".

To find out where yours is going wrong though, you'll need to run rancid
in debug mode, along the lines of:

env NOPIPE=YES PATH=${PATH}:/usr/local/libexec/rancid rancid -d devicename

and inspect the *.raw file to see where it went wrong.

Jethro.